Tortilla de patatas is a type of potato omelet from Spain. Tortilla in Spain is different from tortilla in Mexico and South America (where it’s a thin flatbread). Tortilla originally meant small cake. Tortilla de patatas is like an omelet in the shape of a cake. The dish is very popular in Spain. There are regional variations. The most common is simply made with potatoes, eggs and sometimes onion.
I made it with onion to give it more flavor. It was yummy! Here’s the recipe…
(Note: If you want to change the amount, use a ratio of approximately 2 eggs per potato. Choose the type of potato in your area that’s used for frying. I used gold potatoes.)
Recipe for Tortilla de Patatas
1+ Onion (optional)
Extra Light Olive Oil
2. Slice the onion.
3. Heat the olive oil (about 1/2 inch) in a frying pan. Fry the onions and potato slices with a pinch or two of salt. Cook on high for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Then turn heat down to medium and cover it. Stir occasionally. It will take about 15 – 20 minutes to cook through.
4. Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl with a pinch or two of salt.
6. Put oil in a frying pan to coat the bottom and heat up the pan. Add the egg mixture. (The frying pan shouldn’t be too large because you want the omelet to be thick.)
7. Cook on medium heat, shaking the pan from time to time to get the inside cooked. You can also break up the top of the egg a bit to help the inside cook. You want the sides to firm up too.
8. Once it’s firm enough and not too runny, gently loosen the omelet with a spatula from the sides and bottom of the pan. Put a large plate over the pan and turn over. You want the omelet to be upside-down on the plate.
10. Let it cook to firm up the bottom.
11. Slide onto a plate. Cut and serve!
Here’s a video demonstration of how to cook Tortilla de patatas…
This article was posted on Friday, June 19th, 2015 at 3:57 pm and is filed under Countries & Cultures, Languages, Main Course, Recipes of the World, Spain, Spanish, Tortilla de patatas. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
One Response to “Recipe for Tortilla de patatas from Spain”
Leave a Reply