This seasonal recipe for Takikomi Gohan (mixed rice) was sent by Ayako Egawa in Japan. Takikomi Gohan is made with rice and seasonal ingredients and is made to celebrate the changing season. Here’s Ayako’s note on the dish, along with her recipe…
"Lisa is very curious about our food in Japan. So I’d like to tell you how to make takikomi gahan with some photos.
I made takikomi gohan for hanami (cherry blossom viewing).
Takikomi gohan is rice with chicken and vegetables. We can make it in our rice cookers. So it’s very easy and it’s also our common cuisine."
2 cups Rice
1/2 tsp Dashi-no-moto*
2 tsp Mentsuyu (liquid dashi)
1 tsp Sake (not the sweet one)
Some Dried Kelp (konbu)
Red Ginger (beni shoga)
1 sheet Thin Fried Tofu (aburaage)
*Dashinomoto is dried instant soup mix made with dried bonito tuna flakes (katsuobushi) and kelp (kombu).
1. Wash rice and soak for 15 minutes before cooking.
2. Slice carrots into thin strips.
3. Cut chicken into 2 inch cubes.
4 Slice shitake mushrooms and thin fried tofu.
5. Make broth to season rice using a little water, add liquid dashi, dashi-no-moto and sake.
6. Put all ingredients with the rice in the rice cooker including seasoned dashi. Add ginger and some dried kelp. Add 1 cup of water per cup of rice you make. I prepare 2 cups of rice ( about 4 servings).
7. Turn on the rice cooker and cook for about 1 hour until done.
Ayako wrote, "I want to bring it for hanami (cherry blossom viewing). We can make rice balls with it and put it in a benti lunch box."
Thanks for sharing your recipe Ayako. Enjoy your hanami!
This article was posted on Friday, April 4th, 2014 at 12:03 pm and is filed under Countries & Cultures, Cuisine, Hanami - Cherry Blossom Viewing, Holidays Around the World, Japan, Japanese, Japanese Cuisine, Languages, Main Course, Recipes of the World, Seasonal, Takikomi Gohan - Mixed Rice Dish. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Leave a Reply