“…Here in Spain this dessert was created in the region of Toledo specially for Christmas and it’s this region’s most famous dessert.” -MarieAlice
Mazapán de Toledo (Marzipan of Toledo) is one of the most popular treats made in Spain for the Christmas holiday. It’s delicious with it’s sweet almondy goodness! Here’s the recipe…
Recipe for Mazapán de Toledo
(Makes 20 Cookies)
2 cups (200 g) Almond Flour
1 1/2 cup (200 g) Powdered Sugar
1 Egg White
1 Egg Yolk
1-2 Tablespoons Water
1. Sift together the almond flour and powdered sugar. Mix.
2. Add in the egg white and 1 tablespoon of water. Start by mixing with a hand blender. Eventually you can switch to kneading it with your hands. If it’s too dry you can slowly add more water. The dough is ready when it’s uniform and soft.
3. To make your first shape take a ball of the dough that’s a about 1 1/4″ round (about 3 cm). Then you can make it into different shapes. Here are some examples of the shapes normally made…
4. Place the shapes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Turn your broiler on low.
6. Beat the egg yolk. Brush the shapes with it.
7. Place the cookie sheet under the broiler. Be careful! They cook very quickly. Check them every minute or two. Keep watching until they’re golden brown. (Be careful not to burn them!)
8. When done, place cookies on a baking rack until cool.
9. Place cookies in a tin to keep them fresh.
This article was posted on Tuesday, December 19th, 2017 at 11:16 pm and is filed under Christmas, Christmas Cookies, Christmas Recipes, Cookies, Countries & Cultures, Desserts, Holiday Recipes, Holidays Around the World, Mama Lisa, Mazapan de Toledo, Recipes of the World, Spain. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Leave a Reply