Emanuela Marsura wrote to me from Italy and sent this guide to making potato gnocchi. She wrote: "I sent you photos of the preparation of potato gnocchi."
Recipe for Potato Gnocchi
2 1/4 pounds Potatoes (1 kg)
2 Eggs (whole or just yolks)
A Little Flour
Butter with Sage (if desired) or Meat Sauce
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Then cook them until soft. Remove from stove and drain.
2. Mash the potatoes with a masher.
3. Combine the eggs and a pinch of salt with the mashed potatoes.
4. Mix with a spoon and then with your hands. Add a little flour if needed.
5. Roll dough into a "snake" shape.
6. Cut dough "snake" into little pieces with a knife or spatula.
7. Make the small pieces of dough into balls by rolling them in your hands.
8. Prepare a plate dusted with flour.
9. To give the ball the proper texture of a gnocchi, roll it on the back of a hand grater and indent it a little with your thumb. Then gently roll it in the flour.
This gives the gnocchi a nice little place to collect the butter or sauce after it’s cooked.
10. Cook the gnocchi in a large pot of boiling water.
11. When the gnocchi rise to the service of the water, they’re ready.
12. Remove them with a slotted spoon or a utensil like the one in the photo below. (Does anyone know the English name for it?)
13. Serve with meat sauce and lots of parmesan…
Or serve with melted butter with sage and lots of parmesan cheese…
Many thanks to Emanuela Marsura for sharing this recipe with us!
This article was posted on Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 at 3:16 pm and is filed under Countries & Cultures, Cuisine, Italian, Italian Cuisine, Italy, Languages, Main Course, Potato Gnocchi, Recipes of the World. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
3 Responses to “How to Make Potato Gnocchi… from Italy with love”
Leave a Reply
June 7th, 2011 at 3:51 pm
June 7th, 2011 at 6:26 pm
I wanto share your blog on my wall…how can I link ??
thank u !!
have a nice day. here raining so hard, feeling bad !!
June 14th, 2011 at 3:35 pm
I made this dish the other night and it was delicious with the sage butter. Yum yum yum!