This is the way the elephant goes,
With curly trunk instead of nose. (1)
The buffalo all shaggy and fat,
Has two sharp horns in place of hat. (2)
The hippo with his mouth so wide,
Lets you see what is inside. (3)
The wiggly snake upon the ground,
Crawls along without a sound. (4)
But the monkey see and monkey do,
Is the funniest animal in the zoo. (5)
(1) Put hands together and move arms back and forth to mime the elephant trunk.
(2) Mime horns with your fingers pointing out from your forehead.
(3) Open and close your hands to mime a mouth opening and closing.
(4) Mime a snake crawling with your arm weaving back and forth.
(5) Pretend to be a monkey by scratching under your arms.
Read by Mama Lisa.
Thanks and Acknowledgements
Illustration by Monique Palomares.