Emanuela Marsura wrote to me from Italy and sent this guide to making potato gnocchi. She wrote: "I sent you photos of the preparation of potato gnocchi."
Recipe for Potato Gnocchi
2 1/4 pounds Potatoes (1 kg)
2 Eggs (whole or just yolks)
A Little Flour
2. Mash the potatoes with a masher.
3. Combine the eggs and a pinch of salt with the mashed potatoes.
4. Mix with a spoon and then with your hands. Add a little flour if needed.
5. Roll dough into a "snake" shape.
6. Cut dough "snake" into little pieces with a knife or spatula.
7. Make the small pieces of dough into balls by rolling them in your hands.
8. Prepare a plate dusted with flour.
9. To give the ball the proper texture of a gnocchi, roll it on the back of a hand grater and indent it a little with your thumb. Then gently roll it in the flour.
10. Cook the gnocchi in a large pot of boiling water.
11. When the gnocchi rise to the service of the water, they’re ready.
12. Remove them with a slotted spoon or a utensil like the one in the photo below. (Does anyone know the English name for it?)
13. Serve with meat sauce and lots of parmesan…
Or serve with melted butter with sage and lots of parmesan cheese…
Many thanks to Emanuela Marsura for sharing this recipe with us!
This artilce was posted on Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 at 3:16 pm and is filed under Countries & Cultures, Cuisine, Italian, Italian Cuisine, Italy, Languages, Main Course, Potato Gnocchi, Recipes of the World. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.