It’s still sweet potato season here. What a great time for a Gluten-free Sweet Potato Pie. This dish is so versatile, you can serve it for dinner or dessert.
My friend Judy gave me this recipe. She makes it for Thanksgiving for her relatives on a gluten-free diet. They serve it with dinner, sometimes melting marshmallows on top. It’s so good, the whole family loves it!
First, to save time, Judy buys a Gillian’s brand gluten-free pie crust from a specialty food store. Once you have the gluten-free pie crust (you can make one too), simply pick up a couple of other ingredients and you’re ready to get started!
Recipe for Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pie
1 Gluten-Free Pie Crust
2 cups mashed Sweet Potatoes*
1 cup Maple Syrup (or Maple-Agave Syrup from Trader Joe’s)
2 Eggs lightly beaten
1 T. Cornstarch
1 t. Cinnamon
1/4 t. Allspice
1/4 t. Nutmeg
Marshmallows (if desired)
*Use about 3 cups of sweet potatoes cut into chunks before cooking. Once it’s cooked and mashed you get 2 cups.
Preheat Oven to 350 F.
1. In advance you should peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into chucks. Then cook them in boiling water until soft when pricked with a fork. When they’re done, you should mash them up a little.
2. Put aluminum foil over a cookie sheet and place the pie crust in its pie dish on the cookie sheet. This will prevent spillage in your oven. Set aside.
3. Mix all of the ingredients together, adjusting spices to your taste. Then pour them into the pie crust.
4. Cook for 40 – 50 minutes.
5. If you’re using marshmallows, add them to the top of the pie during last 5 – 10 minutes of cooking to melt them.
Many thanks to Judy for sharing this recipe with us!
This article was posted on Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 at 5:45 pm and is filed under Christmas, Countries & Cultures, Desserts, English, Gluten-Free Pie Crust, Gluten-Free Recipes, Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pie, Hanukkah, Holidays Around the World, Mama Lisa, Recipes of the World, Side Dishes, Special Diet Recipes, Thanksgiving, United Kingdom, USA. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
One Response to “Recipe for Gluten-free Sweet Potato Pie”
Leave a Reply
December 9th, 2010 at 7:18 am
Thank you for the free piano music “My Palm Leaf Hut Bahay Kubo” which I got off the web. My wife is from Negros Occidental and we just purchased a piano for her to learn and for me to practice. I have been downloading beginning level scores for her and I’m sure she will love this one. I’m American and we live in South Korea.