It’s easy to make. Here’s how…
(Below you can find quantities of food coloring to get the colors pictured here.)
Recipe for Rainbow Layer Cake
1. Make the cake batter using the mix from both boxes. Follow the instructions on the box, remembering to double all ingredients.
2. Pour batter evenly into 6 small bowls.
3. Add food coloring to each bowl of batter to make 6 different colors of the rainbow. Below I list the quantities of food coloring that I used to make each color:
60 drops Red food coloring
50 drops Yellow
8 drops Red
30 drops Yellow
43 drops Green
40 drops Blue
16 drops Blue
24 drops Red
5. Pour each color of batter in a separate pan and cook for 15-20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top with your finger. I have 2 cake pans, so I cooked two different colored layers at a time.
6. Place finished cake layers on plates (or a cooling rack) to cool. Cook the other layers and let them cool on a rack or plates.
Then proceed with the other layers in this order from bottom to top:
Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Red.
I used two containers of white icing to ice the tops of all the layers except for the last layer.
8. Since this is a tall cake, you cake strengthen the structure using stiff, unbendable straws. Take a straw and stand it up from the bottom to the top of the cake to find the height. Cut off the top of the straw so that it’s equal to the height of the cake. Cut 6 more straws to the same height.
Insert one straw in the middle of the cake. Then evenly space the other straws around the diameter of the cake, inserting them about 1 inch from the edge. This will give your cake more support.
9. Ice the rest of the cake.
10. Put the cake in the refrigerator until serving.
This article was posted on Thursday, August 20th, 2015 at 7:49 pm and is filed under Countries & Cultures, Desserts, England, Rainbow Layer Cake, Recipes of the World, USA. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
Leave a Reply