Welcome to Mama Lisa's World, kids songs and nursery rhymes from across the globe!
Here you'll find the lyrics to children's songs from around the world in English and the original languages. Many songs include MP3's, Midi Tunes and Scores. Enjoy!
New contributions of songs and recordings are always encouraged!
- Monique wrote from France about terms of endearment used in French, Spanish and English that use Animal names... In French, we use many animals names as endearment words. We use: Mon poussin (my chick) Mon poulet (my chicken) Ma poule/poulette (my hen/little hen - mostly for girls)... Read more »
- Monique wrote from France about a cool "emoticon" she uses when corresponding with her friends. Here’s her email: In French, "à demain" (see you tomorrow) sounds like "à 2 mains" (with two hands). That’s why when someone tells you "à demain" you may answer "à deux pieds" (with two feet) as a joke. This all reminds... Read more »
- Mama Lisa’s World now has a search box! You can search for songs, rhymes, poems, recipes and traditions. You can search for specific languages, countries and cultures. You can search for a particular word... like "apple" or "train". You can even put two or three words in... like "French Apple Song". We hope you find this... Read more »
- Sadao Makuza wrote to us about Halloween in Japan... Halloween here is mainly a sales strategy in department stores and supermarkets. Children only go trick-or-treating if it’s arranged in school or with family and friends. Halloween first appeared in Japan in the 1970’s by the Kiddy Land Company store in Tokyo to promote Halloween goods. In 1983,... Read more »
- Saffron has a wonderful aroma. Adding it to your rice can make it taste extra special! The simplest way for westerners to make basic saffron rice is to soak 1/2 t. of saffron in 3T. of boiling water for 10 minutes. Then add the mixture to your regular rice recipe when adding the water. Ayako... Read more »
- We have over 150 German Songs on Mama Lisa’s World with translations. We were recently asked which ones are popular for children. Here’s a list of the best-known German kids songs that was shared by a German friend. Each song is linked to its lyrics page with a translation... Alle meine Entchen Alle... Read more »
- I’m so excited! I just discovered a major collection of online recordings of children’s singing games! Iona and Peter Opie are among the world’s top collectors of English nursery rhymes and kids songs. When working on Mama Lisa’s World, I refer to their research quite a bit. They published one of the most comprehensive collections of... Read more »
- Monique and I have been adding a lot of Drop the Handkerchief Games to Mama Lisa’s World. This got Monique thinking about the actual meaning of handkerchief in different languages. Here are some of her thoughts... "I was thinking about the word for handkerchief in some languages and it’s funny what they literally mean. In English,... Read more »